The place=country nodes (see attached OSM file) are quite
inconsistently tagged when it comes to their name field, which is what
mapnik and osmarender use on lowzoom.

* Most have the common English name in the name= field, e.g. Germany and Andorra
* Some have their full English name, e.g. Russian Federation
* Some have their common native name, e.g. Österreich
* ‎Some have their native name and a transliteration of it, e.g.
al-Sūdān السودان
* Japan has its native name and the common English name in
parentheses: "日本 (Japan)"

I think it would be nice to have consistency on the main map view in
this regard. What I'd like to see rendered is the common English name
for each country. Whether that's achieved by standardizing that as the
proper value for the name tag, maintaining int_name or something else
is a matter for discussion. But regardless of what we do it would be
nice to have consistency for globally visible nodes like these.