On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 5:22 AM, ビカス ヤダワ (vikas yadav)
<mevi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had two queries:
> 1) New Delhi text is not visible on low zooms (like 8) and is only seem even
> after other smaller cities are shown. Please suggest how to fix it. (I had
> put the same question on other thread a while back with no response. :(
> 2) Need to know how to show hindi translations on north indian cities when
> they are rendered. I had put up a half dozen city name:hi just yesterday.
> what else should be done so that mapnik/tah start rendering the translations
> in the language? (Just like shown in Sri Lanka/China/etc)

Would be alt easier if you supplied links so we could check the data.

1)
New Delhi seems to be show in mapnik Zoom 8.
http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.6&lon=77.2&zoom=8&layers=B000FTF

Though osmarender seems to mess things up:
http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.6&lon=77.2&zoom=8&layers=B000FTF

I don't know why but Openstreetmap rendering rules are optimized for
Gemany and the UK. Might be one of the problems.

2) Multi language stuff is hard, I would go for the Armenian way see:
http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=40.15&lon=45.76&zoom=7&layers=B000FTF

Basically  the city us tagged like this:
name:en=Swamp
name:sv=Träsk
name=Träsk (Swamp)