SteveC wrote:
> Dear all
>
> We had a review call today on the technical side of OSM and one of the
> things that came up was the transition to API 0.6
>
>       http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Protocol_Version_0.6
>
> API 0.6 is the latest and greatest in OSM APIs and brings scrummy
> goodness like changesets. You can read more at the wiki page. A lot of
> work has gone in to it from a number of people.
>
> The downside is that there needs to be some database downtime while
> the change happens. This means a period of time without login, editing
> and so on. The slippy map will of course still work.
>
> We have agreed a date of 21/22 March. During this time, and possibly
> for a little while after, you won't be able to log in or edit while
> things are upgraded.
>
> Technical questions on this should be thrown at Matt Amos and TomH.
>
> So, apologies, but hopefully this is enough advance warning for you to
> avoid activities around that time. From there OSM will be stronger,
> better, faster, longer and higher than before.

On a related note (note sure about the best way to announce this), there
will be an interruption in the the osmosis daily/hourly/minute
changesets during this time.  I'll start them again when the db comes
online again after the migration and they'll be in 0.6 format.  It will
be necessary to download a new planet and resync again.

Brett