"Richard Bullock" <rb...@cantab.net> writes:

> In JOSM it gave a 412 Precondition Failed response - and didn't delete the
> way from the relation. So I opened Potlatch and it deleted it without any
> problem.
>
> I've deleted the duplicate ways - I hope that was what you wanted to do.
> Presumably if there are duplicate ways everywhere (and I found 11 duplicates
> on top of each other in the UK where the route relation E20 had been
> created) - then this relation can be slimmed down anyway just by removing
> excess ways.

I suspect this was caused by a data inconsistency in the DB where the
relation was referencing a way that did not exist.  This could be why
the API refused to accept the upload from JOSM (It would certainly
helpful if the API was a little bit more verbose with its error
messages).

I don't know how Potlatch deals with that through its private API.

Matthias