>>> It appears to be hanging on a minor technicality, ie attribution of the
>>> datasource.  Since this is potentially a huge advance for New Zealand
>>> mapping, what is exactly the sticking point, ie do LINZ really require
>>> a notification on the map while being browsed?  Or is just having the
>>> attribution on a message somewhere (e.g. a wiki page, or even a link to
>>> that page as an attribute on each node/way etc)?  The distinction is
>>> fairly important here, since attributions are common elsewhere too.
>>>
>>> For example there is a Berkley University attribution tucked away in
>>> all copies of Windows to acknowledg the use of the TCP/IP stack.
>>
>> The big problem with all these data sets that require attribution is not
>> adding the attribution (though that may be an issue if it needs to be
>> recorded on each object we derive from it) but making sure that nobody
>> deletes that attribution in the future.
>

>Exactly.
>
>If you look at the first couple of zoom levels, especially on
>Osmarender, they are derived from every data source we have. If we have
>to credit them all, there may end up no space on the screen for the map.
>
>Also, what about mapping software for blind people, like loadstone
>http://www.loadstone-gps.com/. How often should it read out the attribution?

I think this might be taking "attribution" too literally.  Just because Google
Maps does this for the copyright holder, doesn't mean that LINZ insists on the
same.  Can anyone substantiate that LINZ actually require this to be on-screen
at all times when LINZ data is viewed?  I believe all they want is the
attribution somewhere and to limit liability.

As for how to tag these attributes, I believe it was nicely summarised here:

<quote
source="http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2008-April/024900.html";>
I may be missing something, but why would we need to introduce a read-
only attribution tag if we already have it? It's the source tag of the
first version of an object, in

http://api.openstreetmap.org/api/0.5/<objtype>/<id>/history
</quote>