On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net> wrote:

> Tom Hughes wrote:
>> That said, my understanding is that Potlatch puts a break in the
>> track whenever there is a jump in the timestamp. Richard can
>> probably explain in more detail what it does.
>
> (Oooh, look at all that lovely untraced Yahoo imagery...)
>
> Yep. Potlatch connects points, breaking whenever there's a time difference
> of 3 minutes or more.
>
> It works very nicely if you have a "natural" GPS track, but can foul up when
> someone, say, uploads a track with faked timestamps all the same. Please,
> people, if you're going to fake your timestamps, do something like make them
> ascend at 1s intervals from 1st June 1970 or something.
Okay, I enabled just my track, and at one point, its done the same
even with my track. Well its dumped from oziexplorer, and shows up
perfectly well on my PC GPSTRACKMAKER etc.,
Now Oziexplorer and many other programs have this auto trackpoint
dump. So if you travel in an arrow straight line , you will just get 2
points. These may be spaced apart by more than 3 minutes.
Can't OSM just intelligently join the tracks like GPS trackmaker etc., do.
This is a big nuisance. Many times while logging, I may park car,
switch off GPS, and go out for 30 minutes. When I come back I will
turn it back on, and gps will start writing track from where I left
off. Moreover, if I am in a big traffic jam on a straight road, I may
not get points every three minutes. I have been stuck at same location
without moving an inch for 15 minutes on occaisons. Yes we have
traffic jams so bad. I guess why New Delhi area is such a mess when it
comes to GPS tracks. I guess some fundamental change has to be done in
Poltach software so that it does not ruin things like this!