Nick wrote:

> However all schemes are correct and therefore no one should
> modify someone elses edits just on the basis of a personal
> preference.

It depends how you define "correct". Anyone can tag anything any way
they like, but it helps to follow the commonly accepted tags (such
as those listed in the wiki, as well as probably many that are
widely used that haven't made it there yet) so that other software
can render meaningful maps from it.

And it isn't "just on the basis of personal preference". As sly
wrote on this list recently:
> I can't rembember how many (oneway='yes' or oneway='true' or
oneway='1')
> there are in the mapnik style's sheets I use.

Having lots of different ways of tagging the same thing leads to
unnecessary complexity for consumers of the data. Simplifying the
data makes it more usable.

Ed