>>> With my first go a couple of weeks back for 8 languages I did do
>>> fallback to at least 'name' using views as suggested on the wiki,
>>> setting this up for 40 languages however was somewhat less trivial
>>> and I felt that there would be a benefit to being able to display
>>> languages with no fallback...
>> I think, here would a feature like name:local_lang=de,
>> name:de=Deutschland be very useful. This would also help in order to
>> have a map done in a chosen language, without blanks in the country
>> (countries) where this language is the default value.
>> paj
>
> But does it really make sense to tag every object inside a country with
> the same name:local_lang tag? Talk about data duplication...

It depends... in Switzerland, you will have at least the following 4
elements that will appear:
name:local_lang=de
name:local_lang=fr
name:local_lang=it
name:local_lang=roh (using ISO 639-3) Romansh is the 4th national
language, (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romansh_language for more)
Some administrative entites are of one language (like Genevae using
French) other are using two or more languages within their boundaries. I
even know a town where Quarters at the West part are named in French,
and those of the East part are in German and so used locally. (despite
having on both side a name in both languages)...
regards