On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 21:54 +0100, Simon Ward wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 08:54:30PM +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> > > Maybe we should remove the Export tab when it is out of commision?
> >
> > Yes, because the users of all the other export modes that aren't
> > dependent on the mapnik database would love that.
>
> There’s nothing like a bit of dry sarcasm to cheer the place up.
>
> The whole Export tab is never out of commission, so how about just
> disabling the Mapnik exports when we know they are not going to work?

The current plan is to enhance the Mapnik update process so that the
weekly import will go into a temporary DB. The export to can carry on
rendering the existing data during the import. Then old data will be
dropped and the new data put in its place which should only take a few
seconds.

The above plan is fine in principle but I need to work out an automated
script which does all the steps in the right sequence an make sure that
the partition containing the database does not run out of disk space.

        Jon