On Saturday 11 April 2009 00:47:46 Tim Waters (chippy) wrote:
> > Essentially the first bit burns ground control points into the image the
> > second then stretches the image and produces a geoTIFF from it. I visited
> > 4 ground control points with my GPS each about 3km apart and at prominent
> > points near the corners of each image. I suggest you need farm ore ground
> > control points than this at this scale because my georectified image was
> > up to 20 metres adrift in some parts.
>
> Indeed it's quite easy, at the basic level you can use a similar
> service such as http://warper.geothings.net or choose from a desktop
> GIS, most of them have some way of doing this. These would georectify
> images, but we should orthorectify them too which is a bit more
> trickier.
>
> What happens is that the distance from lens to ground is different
> over varying terrain, so it doesn't match what a map would be.
>
> Crudely, imagine taking a snapshot photo from the plane just as you
> fly over a mountain top: way down below you'd see the tiny roads, but
> most of the frame would be the mountain peak. Of course,
> orthorectification is more important with terrain at different
> heights, and less so for flat ones.

In my case I am able to get decent altitudes because I use a garmin 60csx to
mark my ground control points but I think the work involved to orthorectify
is beyond me. Of course this assumes points on the ground rather than the
tops of buildings or trees shown in the photo.

>From the little I understand from Iván's post it seems that having enough
ground control points is a good analogue of orthrectification.

In my case the terrain was all withing +-35m height.

AJH