El Domingo, 19 de Abril de 2009, Greg Troxel escribió:
> There has been some discussion about what might be a similar problem on
> talk-us, where different states have different signs on Interstate
> highways.
[...]
> In the US, the essence of the issue is that we have Interstate highways,
> which have a standard sign, but some states, especially California, have
> variants, and people want maps to show the local variants so they match
> what's on the ground.

Here in Spain (where this proposal comes from) we are in a very similar
situation. The national scheme is quite clear, but lately, some regions* are
starting to colour the road sings their own way just to "stand out".

* Technically, "autonomous communities"

> The proposal is to tag the road as being an interstate in California so the
> renderer can find the interstate/california sign variant.

The main problem I see with this approach is the complexity of the rendering
rules. There will be soooo many exceptions to the general rules that
modifying the renderers will prove to be a daunting task.

> Using ref:color means that has to match ref.  So there's the question of
> when a physical stretch of road has two route numbers. (This happens
> often in the US and I would think it must be common in Europe as it's
> hard to avoid without having people not to be able to follow the lesser
> road.)

That's hard to find in europe AFAIK. There are the E-* signs, of course, but
we have int_ref for those. Here in Spain, any big road sign will tell you the
ref of the road you're in (top-center) *and* the refs of the roads it
connects to (under the ref of the current road).

> It seems for that one needs to move to relations with no ref
> tags on ways, but only on the relation, and then the way can be in two
> route relations.

+1.

> I guess my biggest question is if the colors are arbitrary or they are
> encoding some property of the road.  If they are telling people
> something about the road, then perhaps those rules are what should be
> encoded and then renderers should have access to the
> (jurisdiction,property)=>color table.

The color encodes jurisdiction and administrative level. The problems I see
are:

- Sometimes, there are more real administrative levels than OSM administrative
levels (i.e. yellow vs. purple tertiaries in Soria).
- That table can be a *real* mess.

Cheers,
--
Iván Sánchez Ortega <i...@sanchezortega.es>

Proudly running Debian Linux with 2.6.29-1-amd64 kernel, KDE 3.5.10, and PHP
5.2.9-1 generating this signature.
Uptime: 16:33:40 up 2 days, 18:16,  4 users,  load average: 0.57, 0.60, 0.54