On 22 Apr 2009, at 22:11, Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:

> El Miércoles, 22 de Abril de 2009, Frederik Ramm escribió:
>> This does not rule out the application of a convex hull but [...]
>> It is going to be expensive, and it is not going to avoid false
>> positives
>> altogether, just reduce them...
>
> My point is that we could reach a compromise between no false
> positives and
> computing time.
>
> Besides, computing a bbox is O(n) (n being the number of nodes
> affected by the
> changeset) and a convex hull is O(n log(n)), which isn't that bad.
>

> Geez, I do need to improve my computational geometry skills ASAP.
> There is
> just so much cool stuff to be done.
>
>> I think an external service that does nothing but compare
>> "subscriptions" to changeset bboxes and the elements therein could be
>> the solution; it can take all the time it needs, and maybe even apply
>> some automatic segmentation to large changesets.
>
> This whole 0.6 changeset stuff just turned into "ITO OSM mapper is
> dead, long
> live ITO OSM mapper!" :-P

For the avoidance of doubt  ITO is delighted that the community has
integrated a history tab into the main OpenStreetMap site  which is
clearly the correct place for it. Congratulations to all involved.

Note that OSM Mapper still offers unique functionality to the
community, such as the ability to produce maps showing who edited
within an area, when the edits were made, allows selected data to be
exported as KML, all sorts of clever RSS feeds and we will continue to
develop the product to help the OpenStreetMap community improve the
quality and completeness of the OSM data. Do sign up here!
http://www.itoworld.com/static/osmmapper

Our primary  interest however is to help the professional sector make
use of crowd-sourced data and ITO was plugging OpenStreetMap at
OpenGoveEvent in London attended by senior guys from the government
sector on Wednesday.
http://www.opengovevent.com/

ITO is also a partner in 'Ideas in Transit', a high profile government
funded research project which is developing a unique resource for
policy makers to help the understand what user innovation is taking
place in the transport sector. We aim to provide a one page wiki
article to all major transport related user innovation projects. Feel
free to add stuff or just browse - and do please ignore the gross
adverts that we are going to be removing very soon!
http://ideasintransit.wikia.com/wiki/Ideas_in_transit

Btw, OSM Mapper has problems with imports at present - we are working
on it and will have a full service back within the next few days.
Sorry about any inconvenience.

Regards,

Peter MIller
ITO World Ltd