Torsten wrote:

> can anybody give me a hint on a GPS logger?  I'd just like to
> track the
> position on SD card.
> It would be great if the battery would last for a week or even
> longer.
>
> That should also be much cheaper than e.g. Garmin GPS devices.

I'm quite happy with my NaviGPS GT-31 as listed under Scytex/Locosys
on this page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GPS_Reviews
specifically here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GPS_Reviews#Scytex_NaviGPS_.2F_Lo
cosys_.28B.29GT-31

I save the tracks and/or waypoints to the SD card and use their
software to convert the BIN file to GPX/KML/NMEA/PLT/WPT and
whatever else it does. I've got a 128MB card in it at the moment and
all the mapping I've done since I had it in August amounts to about
14MB of BIN files (although I copy them off each time I get home). A
6 to 7 hour walk was about a 700MB BIN file (though I split it into
4 sections) with points taken every second.

I don't know how long the battery lasts; it recharges from USB which
I do when I get home and I've not been away for a week yet. And if I
did I have USB chargers from the mains/car that I can use overnight.

I also got the bicycle mount for it.

UK users can get it from Storage Depot who then make a donation to
OSM:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Merchandise#Storage_Depot
But I don't know about availability in Germany.

Ed

PS: I'd love a unit which displayed what had already been mapped. I
suspect I'll get something later this year, but will probably still
use the GT-31 as well for a second opinion when checking accuracy...