Hi everyone

in my opinion OSM should not try to compete with mapping websites by
offering more and more tools for using maps. This is because I think
such an endeavour would have three problems: First, how to decide
which of the hundreds of tools out there are integrated on the OSM
website and which are not? People will surely have very different
opinions about what an online map needs. Second, offering map services
to the end-user will bind a lot of resources (humans & computers) which
could otherwise be used to improve the data. And third, I think, it can
lead to a centralisation of the OSM ecosphere with projects not being
on the main website not gaining much attention since they are not
considered a real part of OSM anymore.

However, OSM obviously needs some showcase to advertise what you can do
with the data. But why not creating a real showcase then? A set of
webpages which explain with some examples what it actually means to
have open geo-data and not just a free-beer map. The showcase could
show examples for common use cases like user-defined renderings,
different routing services, etc and provide links to pages offering
these services. The main website website could then just have a big link
saying: "See what you can do with OpenStreetMaps!"

A disadvantage of concentrating solely on the data is that normal
website users will be unlikely to ever see the OSM website and thus
never become aware that they can help to improve the map they are
seeing on a website.
I think this problem could be approached by encouraging users of OSM
data to add links like "Are things missing on this map?" or "Is there
an error on this map?" to their maps which link to a page explaining
that the map used on the website is an open map and that users can
easily add the missing data themselves if they want to (or they could
at least create an Openstreetbug).

Cheers,
Christoph