On May 6, 2009, at 11:06 AM, Russ Nelson wrote:

> On May 6, 2009, at 2:03 AM, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>>
>> "Openstreetmap is about gathering map data and sharing it. Some
>> people seem
>> desperate to import data from anywhere. GATHER IT YOURSELF."
>

> The problem is that people say "Why should I have to repeat this
> work?  It's already been done.  Why can't we just import it?"

There's also the problem that there is some data which should be on
the map which cannot be gathered in the field.  For example, the NYS
DEC Lands dataset is not discernable in the field.  You can look at
the signs, but the signs are not as accurate as the maintained
shapefile.  So should this data NOT be in the map?  Someone certainly
count gather it, but it is KNOWN to be less accurate than the
shapefile we can simply import.

THAT is why we import rather than gathering data.

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog -
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson