Hello,

Yes, it is potentially a minefield. I clearly indicated so previously.
Well, I guess what matters is what you are going to do with the data.
Someone earlier raised the very valid point that most of the problem
could actually be solved by using the rendering in Mapnik by specifying
the language you want the results in.
Maybe I am worrying for no reason but I could see cases where it would
be useful for geocoding and routing. I could be wrong, but if someone
sends you an address, it is going to be most likely in the "native"
language of the person.
The way I see things is that the order would only apply to one named
field. I don't see it as a replacement for an entire country.
In the initial email by Nick Black, he asked what was the convention for
the street in Kiev. He was using both addr:en and addr:ua apparently
omitting the default addr. Personally, I would prefer to have the local
language than English.
I also saw that problem with the problem we had with Lithuania where
people realized it was an import of Teleatlas because the language was
using the old Russian names.
As for your example for the Basque people, I think it is the same
example as the Catalan one. I have seen how Castellano has been removed
from signs over the past few years.
Anyway, to some extent, the fact that we are using only name:Rue du
moulin rouge is an implicit admission that we are using a native
language. I just thought that in some countries it could result in
having clearer result.

Emilie Laffray