2009/5/21 Joe Richards <joefis...@yahoo.com>:

> Where did this idea go in the end? It seems the talk about it petered-out, or
> was some action agreed (along with who was going to undertake it)?
>

> Given the US have forgotten to keep the GPS system up to date, maybe
> we need a few satelites of our own to replace it... Or maybe we can
> use Galileo once its up instead.....
>
> This was more about high-resolution aerial photography suitable for deriving
> traces.
>
> As for geopositioning satellites, I doubt the US military-industrial complex
> (or its adherents in places like Europe) will allow such a key technology to
> fall into real disrepair. Plus with future civilian receivers combining
> signals from Galileo and GPS, alongside radio signals, the future is actually
> looking brighter than ever...

I agreed but the newspapers here in the UK are saying here, that the
updates to GPS are running two years late and its highly unlike that
there will be no interruptions. around the 2020 date unless the US
Airforce find some more satellites quickly. Of course we never believe
what they put in the Press......

Apparently this could all play into Galileos hands.

 I'm a computer programmer but I always find you need to know how to
work without them just in case they stop working which they are hmm
prone to doing.

Out of a matter of principle we ought to have a section on the website
to mapping without a GPS.

Peter.