On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Peter Childs <pchi...@bcs.org> wrote:
> I'm thinking web based script that produced pdf files of OSM would be
> really really good, Possibly rendering direct to PDF (which is
> actually a vector based format)
>
> Possibly done so the scale was correct on each page rather than trying
> to fit a globe on a bit of paper. (Like a big road map) and we don't
> end up with page after page of blue sea.
>
> I'm thinking php can produce pdfs quite well so why not.

you might want to look at the python bindings and scripts (e.g:
http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/rendering/mapnik/generate_image.py)
which can easily generate PDF using pycairo rather than the raster
image output.

> If done well, we could then send the pdf to a printer and get it
> published. I'm thinking a published Road Atlas sitting on the book
> shelf next the the RAC and AA versions would be rather impressive.
> (and a good money spinner to boot)

i've found that printers often prefer high resolution images over
PDFs, but these are also pretty easy to generate. for the mappa mercia
A0 print [1] it looks like 9934 x 14046 (300dpi) was a good
resolution.

cheers,

matt

[1]