On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 16:52:37 -0400, Paul Houle <p...@ontology2.com> wrote:
> I was annoyed to discover that saved tracks on my eTrex Vista HCx
> don't have timestamps.  I did some experimenting and discovered that I
> need to use the "ACTIVE LOG" if I want timestamps and control over the
> tracks.  Funny enough,  I didn't find this in the manual or online,  so
> I wrote something up at
>
> http://gen5.info/q/2009/06/03/getting-a-good-track-from-a-garmin-etrex/
>
>     Is there anything else I need to know about getting good tracks?

It is like that with eTrex Yellow as well, though there are a few other
tweeks to be aware of. My experience is that a saved track have less points
than the active log from the same time interval, and also that you cannot
set sampling interval, theither in time or distance, it only uses a special
formula for when to store a point (fewer points along a straight leg, and
more points in the turns). There are many situations where I wished I had a
unit that stores a point every second, or that stores to a memory card, but
I have to live with my eTrex yellow for now. When travelling, I upload
tracklogs to my laptop every day in order to store as many points as
possible.

--
Brgds
Aun Johnsen