There is a certain degree of cultural bias in the classifications used
in OSM - but the freedom to change things. Although 'living_street'
has particular usage in western europe, are types of street found in
other countries that hardly exist in western europe that I think
living street is trying to reproduce. I think those in Russia can
decide to use this tag if they have a common type of arrangement of
streets that is not common elsewhere. but appears to fit the
definition. They should also feel free to use a new name if there
really is not a suitable name currently in use.

I was surprised to see in china that most residential streets have
gates on them to that only residents of the apartments blocks can
enter. It could  be tempting to classify them as alleys. but they
could also fit living street, or just residential, if the user knows
that the convention in China is for there to be a gate.  In some
countries roads in industrial estates are classes as residential, in
others, service, and in other unclassified. - it might offend purists,
but we do allow cultural flexibility in tagging as well as cultural
and technical norms of road design and use.

James

> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 13:49:26 +0400
> From: "USHAKOV, Sergey" <usha...@int.com.ru>
> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] RFC - 'living_street'
> To: <talk@openstreetmap.org>
> Cc: Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org>
>
> Paul, thank you for being the first to respond to my post with the new
> subject :)
>
> OSM wiki is a great resource and really does clarify a lot.
> Meanwhile it is
> "work in progress" like all wikis and still leaves some space for
> possible
> confusion here and there...
>
> The reason for my question and proposal is that there is a lot of
> confusion
> and discussions between Russian OSM members on what should be tagged
> as a
> 'living_street'. I am personally not a supporter of mapping all
> garbage
> collection ways :) But residential areas in Russian cities are full of
> public un-named ways that are an important means for getting to the
> destination, sometimes via a long and complicated path. And traffic
> rules
> applicable on these un-named "streets" are very much the same as for
> the
> named living streets. So it is really important for navigation
> software to
> know about them and treat/render them appropriately.
>
> Please have a look at this picture:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Image:Residential_area_way_1.jpg .
> Officially it's an un-named way in a residential area. Does it
> qualify as an
> alley? ;) What is the right word for it that you would pick as a
> native
> English-speaker?
>
> The most discussed questions are:
> - is having a name really important for an object to be a
> 'living_street'
> (say, http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dliving_street
> explicitly suggests no 'name' tag for a  'living_street' in Belarus)
> - is being marked with a "residential area" traffic sign really
> important
> for an object to be a 'living_street' ("living street" traffic rules
> may be
> implied on certain ways without any signs)
> - what may be other important characteristics of a 'living_street" as
> compared to "service"
>
> Any feedback is most appreciated...
>
> Regards,
> Sergey

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.