Hello all.  I asked this on the newbies list and it didn't get any replies
so now I try on the big-kids list.  ;-)

I'm trying to figure out how I can render country outlines preferably
exported to SVG where I can individually color them, and add charts and
figures.  I've found some posts talking about shapefiles and XAPI but
they're fairly old and didn't have much detail to them, perhaps things are
different now with 0.6 api and gradual changes in how the renders are done.

I think it would be a nice practical use of OSM if there were a tool or
easily reproducable way of getting various states, providences or countries
rendered, millions of students need those shapes and probably just rip off
whatever image they find googling.

Thanks for any help.  I'm comfortable with installing command-line utilities
and have access to Windows, Linux and OS X.
-DC