I think it's safe to say that the quality of the data in Iceland is
very high.  The amount of data is, however, somewhat limited.

For general street navigation I think it is pretty good, I guess about
90-95% of paved streets in Iceland are already on the map and quite a
bit of gravel roads as well.  As for any serious hiking, I have to
recommend a topographic map with better coverage of natural features
than what OSM has to offer (We are working on improving that!).  There
is a free Garmin map of Iceland available here:
http://www.ourfootprints.de/gps/mapsource-island_e.html, and you can
also get some high quality commercial maps for Garmin GPS's (they are
expensive though, costing about 110 Euros ).

I hope that helps.

Best regards,
Þórir Már