On Jun 16, 2009, at 12:30 PM, Eric Pritchett wrote:

>      * There is often a misconception that OSM is a street focused
>        project.  I think this would be the most important.  It's
>        amazing what a name can do.

Sometimes you pick a name that has drawbacks.  But everybody knows
what the name means, and understands the product behind it.  Take, for
example, "Open Source".  It was chosen to be descriptive; not a good
idea if you want to use it as a trademark.  "Free Software" has its
own drawbacks if you want people to think about freedom rather than
price.

I try to emphasize that OSM is about geodata SUCH AS streets, just
like the mission statement says.

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog -
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson