> Hi all,
>
> A team has formed amoung the Ubuntu community to help make Ubuntu work
> well for NGOs (Non-Govermental Organisations, aka charities) [1] [2]. I
> myself have done some volunteer work sending ubuntu computers to Africa
> with Camara [3]. One problem with many places in the developing world is
> non-existant or poor internet bandwidth. Many people have made an
> Offline Wikipedia, Camara has done and it has been very successful.
>
> It occured to me that having good free offline maps would also be very
> valuable, i.e. an offline OpenStreetMap.
>
> Has anyone done this with OSM?

Hi Rory,
I guess it depends on the precise requirements.

Are you asking whether sections of geodata can be rendered into 'picture
files' for view later? Of course this is basically what is happening all
the time.

If you want a 'slippy map' displayed in a local webbrowser this can also
be achieved by having a local webserver or tile cache on the same machine
that the web browser is on.

Richard wrote up how to build/run a tileserver on Ubuntu:
http://weait.com/content/build-your-own-openstreetmap-server

> If not, it should be easy enough to generate and create a CD, which
> leads me to my next question. Approximatly how big are all the map
> tiles? I doubt you'd fit the whole planet on a DVD. There might be ways
> to make it simplified, less zoom levels, black & white vs colour,
> restricted area, etc.

Leads me to ask an OpenLayers question.... can it support a fall back on
the tile server. So one machine has priority covering a specific area, and
when that area is left another machine takes over?

Cheers,
Mungewell.