--- On Fri, 3/7/09, Jack Stringer <jack.ix...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> The data must be stored in a list of ip addresses
> associated with a
> mast, that mast having a GPS location. Bit like geoip but
> on a bigger
> scale.

No, IPs would be a very imprecise way to do it, simply because IPs get handed
over between a cluster of towers.

Each base station, for all intents and purposes means a single antenna, are
tagged with the country code, the carrier code and the base station ID.

Using those 3 pieces of information, combined with people running GPS and
reporting this information back to companies that store it, and then can do
what Google does and guess the tower location, or more sophisticated methods
such as something similar to a fox hunt game HAMs play can be used or other
databases interrogated to pin point the real location.

Nearly everything that transmits legally on a commercial basis is stored in the
ACMA's database in Australia, I can only assume the FCC and other similar
organisations would keep similar information in a database somewhere.

Also enabling GPS on the G1 isn't the same thing as it being used, and the G1
can be set to only use the phone towers for location updates.