--- On Thu, 9/7/09, Peter Childs <pchi...@bcs.org> wrote:

> Back when I was at School, If I could have done a GCSE or
> A-Level in
> Cartography I would have done. Its a much under taught
> subject.
>
> It either needs to be taught as a Subject in its own right
> or as Part
> of "Technical Drawing", Its not that it can't be included
> as part of
> Geography its just there is more than enough material for a
> separate
> subject and its much ignored.

I was thinking about refining rivers and marking out local area stuff that
normally doesn't appear on most maps, there virtually would be a lot of stuff
that could be done in this area.

Then you come to your suggestion, technical drawing, and I was walking through
a shopping centre today and that side of things came to mind where you normally
can't get GPS signal but they could measure out the shop fronts using another
method and extrapolating from known positions outside where you can get a good
gps signal.

There is almost endless amounts of refinement and mapping that could be done,
and would cross disciplines from geography to architecture to history even,
since you can get copies of old maps and see how towns grew over time.