Looks great!

Do you have any thoughts of doing actual Mapnik renders for these, or
do you foresee doing strictly tile-based constructions?

You may also be interested in the Modest Maps python branch, since it
overlaps quite strongly with this work:
        http://modestmaps.com/examples-python-ws/

Anyway very cool. =)

-mike.