What about reorganizing the structure of the wiki to be something like this?
Basically any item would fall into three main categories - boundary,
landcover or land_use. The boundary or the land_use should be the first
layer then the landcover. For instance, within a park you could have trees,
rocks, sands etc. The natural category can be combined into one category for
the landcover. The items for amenity, historic, leisure, man_made, military,
shop and tourism would fall under the land_use category even though they
wouldn't be tagged land_use=amenity, etc. They could still be tagged the
same way as currently they are.

I like the idea of having one tag for any type of trees. There could be a
subtype such as type=forest or type=eucalyptus_grove, type=deciduouis, etc.
The trees could even be rendered differently depending on how much space
they took up.

Nature_reserve should only be for a natural boundary that is an official
nature reserve. Nature_reserve should also be either transparent or in the
background. There are cases where it will run over both land and water. It
may even run over a coast line like it does in Point Lobos, Ca.

Especially in the Bay Area in California, there are a lot of tags that
overlap each other and as a result look ugly. Using something like
landcover=trees may help. The trees could be rendered with little tree icons
instead of just being a solid shade of green like the parks are.

One tag Natural=Trees, maybe it could be rendered differently based on the
size.

Boundary =
the official boundary set by a government or municipality

= administrative
= civil
= nature_reserve
= national_park
= national_forest
= park
= political

landcover =
is the physical material at the surface of the earth.

= basin
= bay
= beach
= cave_entrance
= cave
= rock face
= coastline
= fell
= glacier
= grass
= heath
= land
= marsh
= meadow
= mud
= peak
= rocks
= scree
= scrub
= snow
= spring
= tree (s)
= volcano
= water
= wetland

Land_use
is the human modification of natural environment or wilderness into built
environment such as fields, pastures, and settlements

= allotments
= cemetery
= farm
= farmyard
= landfill
= logging
= open_space
= pasture
= quarry
= railway
= recreation_ground
= reservoir
= salt_pond
= village_green
= vineyard

= brownfield
= commercial
= construction
= greenfield
= industrial
= residential
= retail

amenity
historic
leisure
man_made
military
shop
tourism

\==============

///
//Tom:
I'd really like to nominate someone like Nick Whitelegg as Countryside Tsar
for a day, so he could work out the different basic features we need to
know about in the countryside and an appropriate tagging schema. Then, as
always, a combination of wiki documentation, Mapnik & ti...@home rules,
Xybot mischief and peer education could disseminate this sensible approach.

I'm going to go back to this because it makes so much sense to do. I too get
discouraged by the lack of comprehensible tags. I actually think that
"natural" key is a bad key. Is an artificial lake a natural=water or
something else? If it's a reservoir (and what lake isn't technically a
reservoir) is it sufficient to tag it just landuse=reservoir, and should we
tag it as man_made=water to explain that it's not actually natural?

No, clearly we shouldn't. So we could just accept that natural and landuse
are equivalent and adjust natural tagging as such (since changing everything
to landuse seems out of the question). So if we do that, then natural=wood
wood=managed or landuse=forestry or whatever becomes a reasonable way to
separate the landform from the land use

Greg:
So, I think we need some tags that denote landcover, and some tags that
denote legal status.

so an area would have at most 1, preferably exactly one of:

landcover=trees
landcover=swamp

Exactly what I was thinking (though I think just using natural as equivalent
to landcover might be the way to go at this point), and using the USGS style
landuse values [1] would be a good start covering the majority of cases (I
think just rolling them all into natural (including man made surfaces makes
sense at this point, but I accept I may be--and probably am--wrong)

and at most 1 of

land_use=...

eh... I'm less fond of this, just because I'm not sold on there being 1 and
only 1 land use for an area but I have no supporting evidence to back up my
iffy feeling

yes, land_use=forestry perhaps implies land_cover=trees, but in the case
of

land_use=conservation

I would expect a variety of landcover tags within the administrative
boundary of the conservation area/park.

As would I, when I said solid fill earlier I mean more like hatching or even
a transparent overlay/underlay? for rendering, I'm pretty convinced about it
being a boundary=whatever issue at this point for things like parks/national
forests,DNR land, BLM land... but not convinced that something can't be both
say land_use=recreation and land_use=conservation (you can bike, and paddle
and fish, but you cant motor and litter and club baby seals)

Gustav:
Because is see forests as something fundamentally different from a few trees
in the corner of a park.

But would you classify them as a different landcover than say natural=wood,
wood=sparse or something. A 500 m^2 wooded area--rendering as forests do
elsewhere--inside a park is probably going to look like "hey look theres a
spot with trees" as opposed to "what is a tiny wilderness doing inside the
city park?"

[1]
http://gisdata.usgs.gov/edc_catalog/fetch_layer_docs.php?LayerName=NLCD%2020
01%20Land%20Cover

Anyway, I think it's all a cluster, I just thought I could pipe in to add to
the fun.