2009/7/29 Greg Troxel <g...@ir.bbn.com>:
> There are three separate concepts:
>
>  physical structure
>
>  administrative designation
>
>  importance according to actual use

maybe there could be also a forth that is structural importance for
the historical development (e.g. the main street, that was there
before all others and the rest developed around it).

> I would be in favor of
>  trying to move slightly to importance-based tagging

me too

>  using ref to mark administrative designation
+1

>  using motorway and trunk as the current rules state.  Here, the roads
>  are so big physically that the importance more or less matches, and
>  all such roads are important more or less by definition.

yes, motorways are the most easy ones, they are motorways when they
are motorways (in Germany Autobahnsign, in other countries equivalent
sign).

>  using primary, secondary, tertiary without real regard to legal status
>  or physical size, but according to usage:
+1

>     primary is typically used for long-distance travel, 100km or more,
>     or for a road that until recently was still used for that and is
>     still culturally important
+1, even when the long-distances in Europe might begin at 50 km, the
concept is the same

>     secondary is typically used for travel at least 25km (between
>     multiple towns)
>     tertiary is used to get to secondary roads (to get to the 'real
>     road' in the next town)

this is working well for out-of-town situations. Inside urban
agglomerations there should be different criteria though (and not
necessarily they are physical, what is my point: let's put the
definition according to everyday best-practise tagging).

cheers,
Martin