On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 08:36:10AM +0200, marcus.wolsc...@googlemail.com wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 01:07:08 +0200, Pieren <pier...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2. It says that the main use is for city_limit. Again, why not. But
> > the other examples are very questionable : "traffic_sign=maxspeed:30"
> > or "traffic_sign=DE:239" break some practices we had until now like
> > key=value and not key=key:value or like key:country=value and not
> > key=country:value.
>
> You can tag the sign as "city_limit". It's a nice thing for rendering
> but be warned that it is completely useless for navigation.
> (For the later a polygon (e.g. place=*)describing where the city-limits are
> in all
>  directions are needed as opposed to mapping the location of some
>  signs on some roads that leave the city for various reasons.)

I started tagging the sign when i started with maxspeed as it
sometimes help the orientation in the data when adding maxspeed.

> Also keep in mind that there are 3 different city-limits.
> * where traffic is considered "inside a build-up area" (navigation)
> * where postal addresses contain to that city (searching)
> * where the outermost buildings end. (rendering)

administrative boundarys

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                         f...@rfc822.org

        Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little
          security shall soon have neither - Benjamin Franklin