On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 19:22:23 -0500
Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  The Canon 30D (for example) is rated for 100,000 shutter cycles. If you
> take a shot every 1-10 seconds, you'll be able to go for roughly 6 straight
> hours before the shutter will fail.

OK so how nerdy am I, just spent an hour (or so) reading up on this and I don't
even have a DSLR. ;-)

1). The shutter fail, is apparently more to do with the 'lift mirror' action
than the 'rolling curtain' shutters. No indication on how many triggers before
the rolling shutters fail...

2). 'Better' DSLRs have a live preview mode where mirror is lifted and image is
displayed on screen rather than in optical view finder.

3). 'Silent mode' can use an electronic 1st stage shutter, followed by a
mechanical 2nd stage.

You can also get the live preview across a USB cable, although I didn't find
any commentary on the maximum resolution this can be at, only the fps.
Suggestion was that it's mjpeg images so I suspect it is low res.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/eos-movrec/

Simon