On 01/08/2009, at 1:36 AM, SLXViper wrote:
> Those untagged nodes sometimes show up quite a lot, depending on the
> area. In one case there were a lot of untagged nodes along a way, each
> very close to another node belonging to the way. All untagged ones
> were
> created by a potlatch user, I think someone tried to draw another
> way on
> top of the first one, but failed doing so.

I've seen this once before, about three or four months ago, and I also
probably performed the action (in Potlatch) that lead to it occurring.
I made a note to myself to report it when I'd finished the task I was
currently doing, but seem to have forgotten to pay attention to the
note. Oops :(

What happened in my case was that there was an existing way
(riverbank) which was not particularly accurate, and we had gotten
some much more accurate data. So I copied the tags from the existing
way to my new one, editing all the places where it joined to anything,
and then deleted the old way. In Potlatch it looked fine. When I came
back to the area about a week later, I saw that all the nodes that
were part of the old (now deleted) way were still on the map. It looks
like the way had been deleted but the nodes, unused by anything else
and with no tags, had not been deleted.

As SLXViper noted the nodes appeared very close to the current way,
which was because they were just from a less accurate version of the
same thing. Sorry for not reporting this earlier, it had slipped by
mind due to being a bit busy at the time.