2009/8/5 Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxf...@googlemail.com>:
> Interesting - I've measured the widths of most of the main roads in Oxford,
> mostly at quiet times of day (easy enough with a wheely device - I wouldn't
> recommend tape). I do kerb-kerb.

yes, that seems reasonable in urban context. Do you do the same if
there is parking lots along the way? In this case I would probably
measure where there aren't to indicate the width of the way (because
otherwise - I was thinking of putting the tags to the way - you really
would have to split the way every 10 meters). I don't like the idea of
putting the width to nodes that much, as nodes tend to get moved - but
maybe with more width attached to them, this would change and people
get more cautious. What would you measure out of town?

> My inclination would be to put widths on nodes, since they are measured at
> points, but that might not be too helpful for renderers. But I don't think I
> really want to break a way every time I do a measurement (I did one
> particular stretch of road every 10m).

did you find a lot of differences every 10m? I thought that most
streets remain there width (for the "driving zone").

cheers,
Martin