Proposal: +1. Thanks

The question whether urban "unclassifieds" are at the same level of urban
"residentials" can be left to the router/renderer - best not to mention it.

The tagger just needs to be able to describe what is there simply and
clearly. A new tag for rural "unclassifieds" would clarify matters, and
highway=rural is as good a suggestion as any. It would be better for us to
have something we can agree on, rather than having some people use
"unclassified", some people seeking to redefine unclassified, and others
using highway=track+tracktype=grade1.

I'd define a "rural" as a road which is (usually) maintained by a public
body, and open to public access, but where only partial provision is made
for vehicles travelling in opposite directions to pass (be that lower-grade
shoulders, Australian-style or occasional formal or informal widenings,
UK-style).
Richard