they must have known - living in a place like that you soon get used
to explaining "no, your address lookup won't work" or "don't bother
asking me for my postcode, you won't find it" whenever someone asks
for your address.

I seem to remember some banks won't let you open accounts if your road
isn't in their map..  good incentive for someone to map their street!