On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:30:30 +0200, Erik Johansson <e...@kth.se> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Aun Johnsen (via
> Webmail)<skipp...@gimnechiske.org> wrote:
>> There are millions of references to London on
>> the net, while not that many of Pitlochry. That meaning a search for
>> London
>> might not give any OSM returns unless OSM becomes a featured site, while
>> search for Pitlochry probably will return a OSM link.
>>

> To use Firefox autocomplete I usually do bookmarks like this:
> http://osm.org/?lat=56.704&lon=-3.733&zoom=13#Pitlochry
> http://osm.org/?lat=59.3211&lon=18.0508&zoom=12#Stockholm
>
> This is imensely usefull for me personally making it very fast to find
> my frequent places.. For that to work with search engines more people
> would need to use the same url.. How do you manage that?
Another thing that might help is if the OSM maps (www.osm.org /
informationfreeway / other?) show the name of large places in the visinity
in the title bar of the browser. This should be possible throughdynamic
queries in the dynamic html generator (AJAX/php/other). This would make
hits on OSM links rank higher in the search engines as it would be both a
link pointing to Rome, and Rome in the title of the page it leads to. A
metadata field in the html header can even improve this more.
--
Brgds
Aun Johnsen