Hi Jochen,

Could you please comment on this thread:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2009-July/039217.html
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2009-July/039259.html
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2009-August/039847.html

since you created the 'T-junction' rule in the first place back in feb 2007:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=Key:tunnel&diff=next&oldid=23441

As you are the co-author on a book on tagging I feel I should ask your input
on this :).

On Tuesday 11 August 2009 15:31:24 Lambert Carsten wrote:

> > > Fair enough. In other words, at any node which is a junction of way
> > > segments with different layers (whether the segments are part of the
> > > same way or different ways), the physical implication is that the
> > > slope of the way changes in the close vicinity of that node.
> >
> > Not even that: it only says something about the relative ordering, not
> > about slope.
> >
> > Regards, Marc
>
> Here is just one of the many examples in Amsterdam concerning bridges:
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=bayreuth&sll=37
>.0625,-95.677068&sspn=59.467068,107.138672&ie=UTF8&t=k&ll=52.371356,4.897274
>&spn=0.001132,0.003447&z=19
>
> All the connecting roads are more or less on the same physical 'layer'. The
> roads that do not intersect with anything on another level don't have a
> layer tag and are assumed layer=0. (A layer tag only has meaning relative
> to something that is intersected).
> Clearly the bridge starts at the (in this case 'X') junction. All the
> connecting roads are (implied) layer=0.
> The T-junction rule makes it necessary to add a non existing 'segment' OR
> add three (for this bridge actually 6) layer=1 tags. Of course the other
> end of those ways will connect to other roads. So the T-junction eastwards
> will also need layer=1 tags which in turn will force the X intersection
> northwards to have layer=1 tags. The result is of course that most or all
> of the roads will need a layer tag. And where we finally connect Amsterdam
> to the rest of Holland we have to hope that there are enough I connections
> so we don't endup forcing the whole world to sit on layer=1.
> The 'segment adding solution' does not only not represent the reality.
> Those extra bits have hardly any room because  it has to fit between the
> junction and the 'natural=water' to work.
>
> All the layer tag does is make it clear that a crossing of ways do NOT
> connect/intersect and the numbering helps the renderer to make a decent
> representation on a 2D drawing. It is not about slope or height and
> shouldn't be.
>
> >I think we should insert a "in most cases" into this rule.
>
> What is the point of this?
>
> O.K. if I delete the 'offending' :) bits in the wiki?
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:tunnel#How_to_Map
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:bridge#How_to_Map
Also here (since july 2009):
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editing_Standards_and_Conventions#Bridges