On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:56:03 +0200, Pieren <pier...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 3:08 AM, andrzej zaborowski<balr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> The instructions at the top of the pages could also mention the
>> official_name:* tags - I don't know if these are approved in any way
>> but I found they were on some of the nodes and I thought it was a good
>> idea to propagate these too where the full name differs from the
>> normal name the country is known by (which could otherwise be placed
>> in loc_name, but it should probably be the one displayed by default)
>
> What is this mess about official_name, name and loc_name ?
>
> Is someone shifting what was earlier name/loc_name to something new
> like official_name/name ?
> Where is it discussed/described on this ML or the wiki ?
>
> Pieren

official_name could be added without changing the meaning of name. For
example, official_name="Kongeriket Norge", name="Norge", name:nb="Norge",
name:nn="Noreg", name:en="Norway". "Kongeriket Norge" is the official name
of Norway, though it is commonly known only as "Norge" and "Noreg"
depending on which form of the Norwegian language you speak. Some cities
also have the same. One could also add nick_name to the list, for example
the city name="Fredrikstad" have nick_name="Plankebyen". In my opinion name
should be what you expect printed on a map sold in that country. All other
*name* tags and name:* tags should be available for multilingual searches
and common aliases. If I search for "Kongeriket Norge" I expect to find
Norway, but would I find Fredrikstad by searching for "Plankebyen"?
--
Brgds
Aun Johnsen