On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 7:55 PM, Morten Kjeldgaard <m...@bioxray.au.dk>wrote:

> It is best to continue trying to educate mappers about the problems of
> copyright. I know from experience (working with Ubuntu) that it takes a lot
> of effort, but eventually you get there. Copyright is complicated, and also
> not logical, so sometimes it's better to err on the side of caution.
>
> Educating mappers so they fully understand the free-and-open principles
> means that they in turn can teach others, and everyone saves time in the
> end.
>
> Throwing the book at this fellow is too harsh at this point. You can email
> him and politely ask if he wants to put the roads back on the GPS trace, or
> you will do it. Convince him to get a GPS and start collecting data. Tell
> him it's fun.

+1

Let's not bite the newcomers. Educating them what's proper is the best first
step. We only do drastic measures (like banning) only if the user persists.

As for the existence of copyrighted data in the data history, I think this
should be something that should be discussed (if not already). Wikimedia
projects take the position that copyrighted infringing text that were
reverted is ok even if it remains accessible through a page's history since
there was a good-faith effort to remove the offending text. Maybe OSM can
adopt a similar attitude but then again, Wikimedia is based in the U.S.
while OSM has its servers in the UK so different copyright systems apply.

Eugene