Sounds like start_date and end_date would work fine in this situation.

"Historical mapping" doesn't really mean much; we're only talking
about adding information about dates to features, and there's no limit
to how fine grained you could get with this. Ephemeral features are
just as welcome as things like buildings that might exist for hundreds
of years and are, in many ways, much more exciting examples of the
proposal.

That's my opinion at least; load the database with all the dating
information you can and leave it to those who control the renderers to
decide what they want to show.

Cheers, Joseph