Roy Wallace wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Andrew Ayre<a...@britishideas.com> wrote:
>> If I draw an outline for a freestanding building which is some kind of
>> business, then I give the outline a name. Mapnik renders the name.
>>
>> If I draw the outline of a strip mall (a connected string of shops) this
>> represents several businesses together. If I then put nodes on them and
>> give the nodes names Mapnik won't render the names unless they are
>> amenities. But not all businesses are amenities.
>>
>> So when handling strip malls should the outline of each business "unit"
>> be drawn separately? Or should I just ignore the fact that the names of
>> many businesses won't appear on the map?
>
> IMHO, you should map whatever is on the ground.
>
> Mapping the outline of business "units" is not a bad idea - perhaps
> you should check out the following proposal:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Buildings
>
> As for "ignoring the fact that the names of many businesses won't
> appear on the map", yes, you should ignore this - don't tag for the
> renderer.

Thanks. It's not tagging for the renderer, it's using the renderer to
give me a hint that I might be doing things wrong.

However, if business names don't appear on the online maps which most
people will use, I'm not sure how good an investment of my time it is to
  go around photographing buildings and adding the names. I want what I
do to benefit the most people.

Andy

--
Andy