2009/8/23 Peter Körner <osm-li...@mazdermind.de>:
>> (1) Default tags can be changed. We should remember that default tags
>> can be edited by somebody later and they will no longer be good for
>> other languages.

This fact speaks for both sides of the argument.  If some feature's
name changes (think, a street) you don't want to have to change 180
names in the name:*= tags.  In the great majority of cases foreign
names are based strictly on the native name.

> This will mark all all uses of the default name as not ok (in any language)
>
>> (2) There is some inconsistency in default tags. Sometimes it's the
>> English name, sometimes it's written in the Latin alphabet, local
>> alphabet (e.g. Arabic) or both. I think Iran is spelt in Arabic, Comoros
>> are spelt in both. Some people say Burma, some say Myanmar for various
>> reasons.
> Yes, that's true. The default name should be how the name is spelled in
> this country (just as it is with city- and street-names). If there are
> two major languages in this country, both should be supplied.

Additionally Burma is a pretty bad example because it's tagged
incorrectly, the name= value should be using the native name and
native alphabet, i.e. Burmese script, while right now it uses the
english name.  It's going to be fixed at one point.

Cheers