On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 7:39 AM, Anthony<o...@inbox.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Roy Wallace <waldo000...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What do you mean by "it allows nodes to be attached to individual
>> lanes"? Do you mean you don't think a lane should be represented by a
>> series of nodes?
>
> Perhaps what I mean is more clear if you substitute "subentity of a way"
> instead of "lane".  Basically, if you have a way which consists of two
> lanes, and those lanes are identical in every manner except that one is for
> cars and trucks and the other is for cars only, I'm okay with somehow
> labeling individual lanes within a single way.  On the other hand, if one
> lane connects with some roads, and the other lane connects with other roads,
> and which is which is important, this needs to be represented as two ways,
> not one.

Ah. So I think the issue here is whether a lane can be:

1) explicitly traced out as a "way" (i.e. series of nodes), or
2) assumed to follow the same path as the "parent" way

If a lane is related to its adjacent lanes and "parent" way through
the use of a relation, I think 1) is necessary. Right? Because the
members of
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/lane_and_lane_group,
for example, are themselves ways (i.e. series of nodes)?