On 09/09/09 11:55, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 09/09/09 11:46, Roy Wallace wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Jonathan
>> Bennett<openstreet...@jonno.cix.co.uk>   wrote:
>>>
>>> There's a difference between using one fact from a newspaper article,
>>> and systematically extracting data from a database to reuse in another
>>> database.
>>
>> Is there a difference between
>> 1) using one fact from a newspaper article to use in another database, and
>> 2) using one fact from a database to use in another database?
>>
>> Can you clarify exactly what that difference is why one is legal while
>> the other is not (if that is indeed what you're implying)?
>
> Because (in the EU) Database Right kicks in and prohibits "substantial
> extraction".

I just realised that I misread your question slightly...

The correct answer is of course that on their own there is no difference
between the two.

The problem arises once you copy a few facts, then I copy a few, then
Fred copies a few, then Jim, then...  At some point we have, between us,
copied a "substantial extract" at which point the database right kicks in.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/