Eddy Petrișor a scris:
> Habib Habib a scris:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Is there a tool which shows the evolution of a region in time (i.e. show
>> how the number of ways, points changed and increased in a period of
>> time), as an animated slide, or as a series of map tiles each taken at a
>> different point in time? Has it been written yet? Thank you
>
> I've done something primitive based on some shell scripting and the
> mapnik render; the code isn't published yet, but I can publish it, if
> you want.

OK, I've just pushed the code on repo.or.cz:

http://repo.or.cz/w/osm-map-evolution.git

but be warned there are many hardcoded things (though can be configured
or easily modified).

The main ideas:
- the planet files are stored in a git repo (in another branch than
master - the scripts warn about this and give advice)
- the generation of the maps is currently tailored to focus on Caracal,
my home town where I was the author of he huge majority of changes; it
would be nice if this was configurable by an external file, but I expect
patches - you can commit anonymously in the mob branch :-)
- the generation can go back from the most recent version of the planet
file in the "planet repo" down to a date or down a certain number of commits
- mapnik is used for generation and the database configuration stuff
surely needs checking
- the main script is "gen_dated_maps" which in turn calls "gen_map" -
gen_map is the rename of gen_map_Caracal and should be the generic
version of the map generator
- the images are created in a ne directory _maps, and can be added an
optional time stamp

I haven't managed to make a script to generate an animated movie of the
evolution, but I did managed to make manually a movie/clip from the
resulted images. I also welcome suggestions for this (and I'll come with
more info on this).

Any suggestions and patches are welcome!

--
Regards,
EddyP