Hi,

Frankie Roberto wrote:
> Are there any "terms of use" for either the XML API or the
> Mapnik/Osmarender map tiles?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_usage_policy

Nothing official, just a draft.

> eg if someone wants to embed the our Mapnik tiles on their website (eg
> using OpenLayers), can they do so? Does it depend on
> commercial/non-commercial? Bandwidth required?

Some time last year the OSMF decided that they wanted to scale down and
ultimately disallow extra-project accesses to the tile server but they
changed their minds. You'll find the topic mentioned in various OSMF
board meeting minutes.

> Personally, I think that providing a reliable tile server (containing a
> well designed map for good all-round use) that anyone can use, so long
> as they give appropriate attribution, is something OSM should support
> and promote - even if other commercial and non-commercial services
> (Cloudmade, etc) are available.

Personally I find it excellent that someone who wants reliable heavy
duty access (e.g. Wikipedia) sets up their own server to their liking.
Why should we try and take their traffic, and anyone else's - what's in
it for us?

> However I don't know whether this crosses some major ideological
> division within the community??

Problem is that you create expectations that are difficult to fulfil by
hobbyists with the haphazard setup that we have. If you want a reliable
tile server, you need a proper computing centre with fallback hardware
and all that, and admins paid for being woken up at 3am if something
goes wrong. This costs a lot of money which we would have to acquire and
*not* spend for other things like supporting mapping in developing
countries. - So, again: Why not let those who want to use the tiles and
who require reliability pay for them?

Bye
Frederik