Peter Childs wrote:
> 2009/9/28 Mark Williams <mark....@blueyonder.co.uk>:

>> courtland.yoc...@mindspring.com wrote:
>>
>>> I've been thinking a bit about this from a very different perspective -
>>> that of parks and other open public areas where you might not have a chance
>>> to walk the perimeter ... for instance, you've a dog who really doesn't
>>> want that boring walk around the edge, but bobs and weaves all about the
>>> space and this might be one of only a couple of potential visits you might
>>> be able to make to the site.  I think that an accumulation of unordered
>>> points over time either by one person or multiple people who capture GPS
>>> information _incidentally_ would be useful in defining the core of the
>>> public (or private, in the case of tractors on farmland) space.  There's no
>>> need to gather tracks, merely points.  Let the accumulation of points
>>> define the space.  This is something of a corollary to the notion of
>>> "wisdom of the crowd" and it can be seen in action in the United States on
>>> major thoroughfares, such as the interstate highways, where the
>>> accumulation of multiple tracks over time can be u
>>>
>> sed to define a way.
>>
>>> user id on openstreemap = ceyockey
>>>
>>> ________
>>>
>> If I'm out walking with the dogs, I tend to not go near the edge UNLESS
>> I'm mapping, because they won't crawl under hedges if I'm already a fair
>> way off, but will do so happily if it doesn't take them far. I suspect
>> I'm not the only one, so you'd end up with a ludicrously fat hedge.
>>
>> I also tend not to go into corners & will often stop a little before the
>> end of a field.
>>
>> Mark
>>

> I think this is a case of "Better to have a park with a ludicrously
> fat hedge than no hedge, or field at all. With average GPS only giving
> an accuracy of around 10-50 meters its not going to be far out anyway.
>
> Peter.

I wouldn't be such as slave to your GPS.
We all know of the apocryphal stories of GPS slaves who drive off  cliff
faces.

Just because you didn't walk to the corner doesn't mean you didn't
survey it.
If you're aware that the hedge isn't actually fat then don't map it as
such, do it as you saw it.
Your eyes are the most important/accurate piece of surveying equipment.
If your minds not to hot though, take a camera/paper/pen.

If  fields boundaries are straight, I rarely walk the whole perimeter,
just parts of those boundaries & extrapolate.

Either that, or train you dogs to do as you order :-)

Cheers
Dave F.