2009/10/1 Kai Krueger <kakrue...@gmail.com>:
> Well, perhaps because it is by far the most wide spread mobile programming
> language?!

It may be, but how many of those phones come with a built in GPS? Most
of the time you need to buy a BT add on which uses/wastes even more
battery...

> It is only really Apple with the iPhone who once again decided to be
> incompatible with everyone else (and admittedly now Android too). Pretty
> much every other phone including windows Mobile phones and Blackberry have
> some support for JavaME although the quality of the JVM widley varies.

J2ME apps look horrible on BB, native apps at least look a little
nicer, and work a lot better then j2me apps do. It's a pain in the
butt trying to navigate on a BB when you are used to track ball etc
and you are forced to use some weird key layouts suited for some
generic phone with only a number pad.

> Yes, it has its issues, no doubt, and so it is good to see some evolution in
> this space, but JavaME pretty much remains the only option if you don't
> won't to rewrite large parts of your code for each available phone. It is by

Most of the code that needs to be re-written is GUI code, which would
need to be re-written for most smart phone platforms, most j2me apps
just don't work well on smart phones, or at all in the case of
android, iphone and probably palm web OS...

> now also a fairly capable language that is perfectly suitable for
> applications like these. The mayor issue really is the stupid security
> modell and DRM stuff but that is not that much better elsewhere either.

Smart phones seem to have relaxed this so it's now usable.

> Actually, you can do all that perfectly fine with JavaME. It has support for
> full keyboards and touch screen handling.

JavaME might support it, but I haven't seen any j2me only phones support it.