> Shalabh schrieb:
>> Would just like to figure out if any of you have had the same issue with
>> this model or any other Garmin GPS.
>
> I have a similar Issue with the Garmin Vista HCx. Occasionally I
> observe, that the GPS position is way off the known road/path I am on.
> The satellite accuracy is high +-5m.
>
> When I switch the device off and on again, it positions me right where I
> am supposed to be. So it seems to accumulate some sort of error in its
> internal calculations and needs the occational reset when it is "going
> wrong with great confidence"

I've never had this problem with my eTrex Vista HCx.

The only time I've ever had position errors greater than, say, 15m or so, is
when I've first turned the unit on. Whilst it's looking for satellites, the
track-log records the current position as where I last turned the unit off
for a few seconds until it has a signal lock.

However, there might be a couple of causes to large errors;

*    Some cars are known not to permit very good GPS reception. This would
tend to be shown in the +/- position though.
*    I have heard from others that an earlier version of the software or
firmware was known to cause accumulated errors. When I first bought my unit,
it was installed with a version previous to these which was fine. I have
since upgraded to a later version which is fine.

But in general I've never really had any issue with it, other than the
rubber part 'ungluing' itself, which is apparently a common fault.