Lesi writes:
 > If you think voting is silly, why do you not change the procedure
 > of approving new features in the wiki?

Because some people think that we should vote, and would be upset if I
removed the voting mechanism.

 > Based on what facts a feature will be approved then.

Well, the http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features page
claims two ends for the result of voting: first, that something will
be listed on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_features, and
second, that once voted on, it will be a standard way to tag map
features.

Rule #2: before setting out a solution you should decide what problem
you are trying to solve.  Should Map_features contain a link to every
map feature?  Should we be directing people towards mapping in certain
ways?  Or should we let people map however they want as long as they
document their method?

 > Or do you want to abolish proposed features completely?

Yes.  If you want a certain Key or Tag to mean a certain thing, then
just start using it that way AND document it in the wiki.  If it's
already documented with a different meaning, then you must MUST not
change that documentation.  Instead, use a similar but different Key
or Tag and create a wikilink from the one you'd like to use to the
different one.

What's important is that the meaning of everything in the database is
documented.  By having two sources of meanings (wiki/ and
wiki/Proposed_features/) people have to look in two places to find
documentation.

Undocumented mapping is almost completely worthless except to say "Hey
there's something interesting here, but I'll be damned if I can figure
out what it is from the frimfraz=pirkle OSM tagging.  What the hell is
a pirkle anyway??"

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-323-1241
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog